Distance: 13.5 Km | Duration: 6 Hrs | Grade: TBA | Rating: | Style: Circuit | Map
Best Season: Autumn, Spring
About the Walk
A walk in one of the more remote sections of Lerderderg Gorge. It involves walking along attractive and challenging spurs with lovely views into the gorge and a challenging walk beside or in the Lerderderg River. From Mt Blackwood there are views to the surrounding countryside, Melbourne and the You Yangs. A steep descent and climb and frequent river crossings. Expect wet feet.
The Walk in Detail
Route includes formed tracks, footpads, river walking & a paddock; some road walking at end. A steep descent to the river, with a steep ascent out of the gorge and another to Mt Blackwood. 400m change in elevation. Numerous river crossings; expect wet feet.
Start: Junction of Mt Blackwood Rd and Square Bottle Tk.
- Walk a few metres north on Square Bottle Tk to the junction with Razorback Tk. Turn right onto Razorback Tk and walk north-east on an undulating wide gravel track to the 'turntable'. Continue east on the track that is now a footpad to descend to the Lerderderg River. The descent becomes increasingly steep. Distance 4.4km.
- Turn right and walk south beside the Lerderderg River, crossing frequently to reach Mackenzie Camp. Distance 1km.
- Climb west on Mackenzie Tk to the junction with Lower Chadwick Tk. Continue climbing south-west on Lower Chadwick Tk to the grassy easement. Distance 4km.
- Pass through the gate, cross the grassy easement and climb a stile onto another grassy easement and climb west to Mt Blackwood. Circuit the Mt Blackwood fire tower for the panoramic views. Walk west down Tower Tk. Turn right onto Mt Blackwood Rd and walk north to the walk end point. Distance 3.1km.
End: Junction of Mt Blackwood Rd and Square Bottle Tk.
Disclaimer: All reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the route description was as accurate as possible at the time of publication.
The accompanying map is general in nature and should not be relied on for navigation purposes.
This park is infected with Cinnamon Fungus. Please observe the following control measures:
- Be clean on entry and exit. Vehicles, tyres, machinery, footwear and camping gear should be free of soil, gravel and mud prior to entering or leaving any park, reserve or campsite (particularly in high risk areas). Don't bring soil or gravel in – and don't take any home!
- Where available, use boot cleaning stations and vehicle wash down bays – they are there for a reason.
- Remain on formed roads, tracks and pathways at all times. Moving from infected to uninfected areas can spread the pathogen - particularly during wet weather when soils are wet and sticky.
- Obey all track and road closure signs. Do not enter areas of vegetation that have been quarantined.
For full details on the fungus and required control measures please follow link provided in Further Information below.
Getting ThereDrive to Blackwood on the Western Highway via Melton and Bacchus Marsh, taking the Greendale-Myrninong Rd exit from the highway and then turn right onto the Myrniong - Greendale Rd. After 1.1 km continue straight ahead onto the Old Western highway. After 9km turn right onto Mount Blackwood Rd. Continue for about 1.3km until reach Square Bottle Tk on right. The walk starts and finishes at the junction of Mt Blackwood Rd and Square Bottle Track. Click here for a map of Blackwood.
1km beside the Lerderderg River involves frequent river crossings äóîwet feet, slippery rocks. Possible road traffic on Mt Blackwood Rd. Cinnamon fungus area.
Small car park at Square Bottle Tk.