Distance: 9 Km | Duration: 4.5 Hrs | Grade: Grade 2 | Rating: | Style: Circuit
About the Walk
This walk offers two contrasting yet complementary elements. In the morning, the route visits some of<br /> the historic features of Flinders Village. After lunch, there will be a guided tour of the renowned<br /> sculpture park at Elgee Park - a great opportunity, as public access is generally restricted.
The Walk in Detail
Walk west along Cook St and turn right up King St for one block to reach A, St John's church, built in the Gothic style and dedicated in 1892. Follow unsealed Barker St east to Stokes St.
Turn left past the recreation reserve to B, the Pioneer Cemetery, where a wander around the graves reveals many pioneer family names. Return to Barker St via the other side of the
reserve, turn left and continue east to the coast. Turn right up a short incline to C, the Bass and Flinders Memorial, which was unveiled in 1912. Two war memorials, D, are situated on the
foreshore and offer good views. Walk south to E, the park near the pier (toilets, park benches) for morning tea.
Walk up a short slope to rejoin Golf Links Rd, then follow it south as far as the West Head Gunnery Range, then west. On your left, opposite the golf course, is F, a Hang Gliding Ramp.
Swing right into King St; outside a private residence at G is a statue of Neptune, the Roman god of the sea. Continue north as far as Bass St, turn right and return to the park beside the
cars (toilets, picnic tables) for lunch.
After lunch, return to Elgee Park for a sculpture tour, led by an Elgee Park employee. Over 45 sculptures by renowned and emerging artists sit in the landscape, reflecting a personal connection between man, art and nature.
From Wallaces Rd, turn left into Nepean Hwy. At roundabout, go straight ahead onto White Hill Rd C787 to a T-intersection. Turn right into Arthurs Seat Rd C787; after 800m, turn left into Mornington-Flinders Rd C787 to Flinders. In Flinders, take 3rd right into Norman St; park on RHS near the church. (Melways 261 K8) Distance: 26km