Bushwalking Victoria gratefully acknowledges the support of a grant from Sports and Recreation Victoria which made the creation of this course possible.
Bushwalking Victoria would also like to thank and acknowledge the hard work of our volunteers who put this program together.
Sally Walker, Judy Hunter, Vanessa Reynolds, Bob Peterson, Gerard Vander, Ian McLean, David Laing and Terry Sydes!
Walk Leader Training Module 1
The Bushwalking Victoria Walk Leader Training Course consists of a package of documents that can be used by clubs to train prospective walk leaders in the skills they need in order to lead day bushwalks for their club.
Most of the Word and Powerpoint files use the Bushwalking Victoria font TeXGyreSchola. Please install this font on your computer before using the Word documents otherwise you may need to reformat or repaginate the documents.
There are seven units that can be presented as required.
Most units consist of three elements:
- Powerpoint presentation;
- Handbook document to be given to the prospective walk leader;
- Trainer's notes to assist in presenting the unit
- WLT1 Powerpoint Unit 3668 KB
- WLT1 Handbook Unit 356.8 KB
- WLT1 Handbook Unit 3276.57 KB
- WLT1 Trainer Notes Unit 364.13 KB
- WLT1 Sample Event Registration Form84 KB
- WLT1 Sample Personal Health Details Form31 KB
- Incident Report Form69.33 KB
- Acknowledgement of Risk Form - Temporary Members68.48 KB
- Track Condition Report Form131 KB
Walk Leader Training - Extended Module 2
The Bushwalking Victoria Extended Walk Leader Training Course consists of a package of documents that can be used by clubs to provide training in conducting base camps, conducting overnight walks (pack carries), extending leadership skills and extending navigation skills for day walk leaders in their club.
Most documents use the Bushwalking Victoria new font TeXGyreSchola. Please install this font on your computer before using the Word documents otherwise you may need to reformat or repaginate the documents.
There are four units that can be presented as required:
- Unit 1 – Conducting a Base Camp
- Unit 2 – Conducting a Pack Carry
- Unit 3 – Navigation - Extended
- Unit 4 – Leadership Skills - Extended
Most units consist of two elements:
- a Powerpoint presentation
- a handbook document to be given to the prospective walk leader
In addition there are additional documents associated with some of the units.
There is a set of maps to support the navigational leadership training available. If you would like to use those, please contact the Bushwalking Victoria office to organise loan of those.
It is recommended that the following publications / pamphlets be purchased or made available for course participants. These publications are referred to during the course.
- Geoscience Australia Map Reading Guide (www.ga.gov.au)Bushwalking Victoria WalksafeTread Softly
- Unit 2, Walk Planning, Research and Reconnaissance, makes use of the Parks Victoria Westerfolds Park note and map. Any similar park adjacent to where the course is being conducted would be suitable.
- Unit 6, Navigation, makes extensive use of the Warby Range 8125-3-1 Zone 55 topographic map 1:25 000 series published by Vicmap (Survey & Mapping Victoria).
Ideally there should be one map to share between two course participants.
Source: Bushwalking and Ski Touring Leadership: Outdoor Recreation Leadership in Australia. Published by Bushwalking and Mountaincraft Training Advisory Board (Vic.). 3rd edition, 2000. Also available at http://outdoorleaderonline.org