Distance: Km | Duration: 1.25 Hrs | Grade: TBA | Rating: | Style: TBA | Map
Best Season: Autumn, Winter, Spring
About the Walk
Tirhatuan Park in Dandenong North forms part of the Dandenong Creek vegetation corridor, providing important habitat for native flora and fauna. The park includes two lakes, a wetland, boardwalk and bushland, the walk also takes in the Dandenong Creek as well as views to the Police Road Retarding Basin.
The Walk in Detail
Tirhatuan Park in Dandenong North forms part of the Dandenong Creek vegetation corridor, providing important habitat for native flora and fauna. The park includes two lakes, a wetland, boardwalk and bushland, the walk also takes in the Dandenong Creek as well as views to the Police Road Retarding Basin. This area supports significant stands of Swamp Scrub and remnants of Swampy Woodland as well as significant flora and fauna including fish and a diverse range of birds and frogs. Tirhatuan park is a good base for bike rides or longer walks to nearby Jells Park. There are two walks - one takes 40 mins and the other takes about 75 mins.
Track surface: Flat; gravel and bitumen tracks; approx 100 m of uneven dirt track approx. opposite Oliver Court to view Dandenong Retarding Basin and Wetlands
Best season: Cooler months when wetlands are full of water and temperatures not so hot. This park has limited shade.
Hazards: There are no protective fences along the trail near the wetlands and or around the children's playgrounds so supervision of children at all times is advised. Snakes may be present during peak seasons (October—May), avoid walking off the trail. This park has limited shade. The Dandenong Creek Trail is shared with bikes, take care.
Option 1: Wetland and Lake Circuit - about 40 minutes return at a leisurely pace.
Option 2: Wetland and Lake Circuit plus Dandenong Creek to Oliver Ct, with views to the Police Road Retarding Basin - about 75 minutes return at a brisk pace.
Option 1: Wetlands and Lake Circuit Walk
1. From the car park head to the left of the toilet block to find the Dandenong Creek Path. Turn righ (keeping the River on your left and follow this path.
2. You will walk past bushland filled with birds and then encounter a minor track to the right. Take this track towards the boardwalk.
3. At the board walk, turn left to head across the grass towards the lake.
4. Walk around the lake, keeping it on the right and ignoring paths off to the left. Take time to go up to the waters edge to look at the plants and animals.
5. Upon approaching the second lake you will encounter a small track to the right leading to the boardwalk encountered at step 2. Take this track to explore the second lake more closely and turn left when you re-encounter the Dandenong Creek main path which will take you back to the car park. OR continue straight ahead as a short cut back to the car park.
6. From the car park you may wish to continue onwards (following the Dandenong Creek Path) - Walk Option 2.
Option 2: Wetlands Lake and Circuit Walk plus Dandeonong Creek Trail
1. After completing Walk Option 1, from the car park turn right onto the Dandenong Creek Trail keeping the Creek on the right.
2. Follow this trail through the trees alongside the creek and turn right at the first junction.
3. Continue along this path as it passes by horse paddocks on the right. Continue through the gates that mark the Northern entrance of the park (Police Rd) and turn right back onto the trail at the end of a small car park.
4. Follow this trail keeping the paddocks on your right and houses on the left.
5. After a few hundred meters you will see a narrow dirt track leading to the right. Follow this track to the half way point to take in the views of the Police Road Retarding Basin (an area of environmental significance).
6. Return the way you came back to the car park at Tirhatuan Park.
To view more on the map, zoom in or out, click the symbols and the walk route. To open a full screen version of the map, right-click and open in another tab or window. The map and walk details can also be downloaded460.9 KB.
Melways: 81 E7 Directions: Kriegel Way, off Outlook Drive, Dandenong North Car parking: Car park located at the end of Kriegal Way Public transport: Bus: The 862 (Dandenong—Chadstone) bus stops on Outlook Drive at the top of Kriegal Way. It is a short walk to the start point of the walks.
Watch children near water; Be alert for snakes from October to May and don't walk off trail. Limited shade. Trails shared with cyclists, so be alert and considerate of other users