Distance: 7 Km | Duration: 2.5 Hrs | Grade: TBA | Rating: | Style: One Way | Map
Best Season: Spring
About the Walk
A well-defined, sealed trail along the valley of Kororoit Creek which contains mini-rapids, large waterholes and basalt cliffs. Spring is the best season for this walk, which goes through many areas replanted by community volunteers and Melbourne Water. The walk starts and finishes with short bus trips to and from Sunshine Station.
The Walk in Detail
A well-defined, sealed trail along the valley of Kororoit Creek which contains mini-rapids, large waterholes and basalt cliffs. Spring is the best season for this walk, which goes through many areas replanted by community volunteers and Melbourne Water. The walk starts and finishes with short bus trips to and from Sunshine Station. The track crosses the creek a number of times but the route is very clear and the track is a sealed surface for the full length of the walk.
1. Take public transport to Holt Street, Ardeer (refer to 'Getting There'). Walk along the Ballarat Road service lane in the same direction as the bus for two blocks to the concrete Western Ring Path. The path is next to the softball field on Ballarat Road, just before the Western Ring Road.
2. Turn left and follow the path along the creek, staying on the left side of the creek as it bends back towards Ballarat Road. You will pass a playground and fitness course. You will then pass three footbridges off to the right. Do not cross these bridges, but instead keep walking along the Kororoit Creek until you meet Ballarat Road.
3. At Ballarat Road turn right and walk on the footpath next to the road, crossing over the tributary, Jones Creek. You can see this small creek covered in concrete on the other side of Ballarat Road. It now runs under Ballarat Road through drain pipes. Shortly you will turn right to return to the trail and continue along the left bank of Kororoit Creek, passing under some electricity pylons as you walk.
4. Walk to the right of the tennis courts and meet a playground at Selwyn Park. You may wish to take a break at this point. Continue walking the path along the creek and pass under the Forest Street road bridge. Note: For an early exit don't go under the bridge, but walk up to Forest Street for buses 400 and 451 back to Sunshine Station.
5. On the trail and just past the Forest Street bridge is a footbridge across to the right hand side of Kororoit Creek. Cross the footbridge, looking out for ducks and other water birds. Continue walking the trail until you meet another footbridge, where you will cross back to the left hand side of the creek; keep walking on this side.
6. Walk under the Glengala Road bridge and continue to the Derby Street footbridge where you will cross the creek again. This time you will be walking on the right side of the creek. Next you will meet the Wright Street bridge where you will need to walk up to the street and cross the bridge, turning right off the bridge to continue on the trail. Continue walking on the left side of the creek until you meet a steel footbridge.
7. Cross the steel footbridge and observe the natural rock wall. Further along the trail on the right hand side of the creek, you will find park benches and a picnic table (at Killeen Street) for a break. Continue walking on the trail, past St Peters Primary School. Just past the school you will meet Pickersgill Avenue.
Note: For an early exit or to avoid a second bus ride, don't cross the first footbridge but exit to the left and walk along Derby Road then left along Hampshire Road to Sunshine Station.
8. Turn right and walk down Pickersgill Avenue to Fairbairn Road. Cross Fairbairn Road, turn right and walk to the bus stop on the next corner (Bennett Street). Take the route 471 bus to return to Sunshine Station.
Continue along the trail beyond Pickersgill Avenue to Buckingham Reserve which has a children's playground and shelter, and return the same way. This extension would add about 30 minutes to the walk.
Melway maps: Start - map 26 A9, Finish map 40 E5, Walk route is on map 25 K8 to K10.
Car: The Park is located near the intersection of the Western Ring Rd and Ballarat Rd.
Public transport: Take the Sydenham (Watergardens) line train to Sunshine station. Then take a bus from the bus terminal near the station: bus route 216 (Bay 10), direction Burnside or route 456 (Bay 6), direction Melton, to the start of the walk at Holt Street, Ardeer. Return to Sunshine Station on bus route 471, direction Sunshine Station. 7-day service. 4-hour free parking is available at Durham Road Sunshine (near Sunshine Railway station). Public Transport timetables
Watch children on the path near the creek.
Railway & bus stations