Join a Bushwalking Club
Bushwalking Victoria has more than 70 affiliated and associated clubs representing an estimated total membership of over 8,000 walkers. Most clubs, but not all, accept members from the general community. Most clubs welcome new members.
Bushwalking clubs are an excellent source of experienced leaders and walking companions, as well as offering useful trip suggestions and advice. Clubs generally have walk programs publicised well in advance and welcome prospective members as visitors on walks. Many clubs have other outdoor activities in addition to bushwalking, such as cross country skiing, canoeing, liloing and cycling and many also have equipment available for hire.
When deciding which club to join, you may wish to consider the following factors:
- Does the club have a restricted membership, e.g. single sex, religious group, students of a particular university, etc?
- Some clubs are quite small, with less than 100 members, others have more than 400 members. You may find that the smaller clubs suit you better. On the other hand, larger clubs may have more activities to choose from.
- Does the club have regular meetings where you can meet other members, discuss trips with leaders, etc?
- Are meetings held at a location which is convenient to you?
- Does the club do the type of walks which interest you, e.g. weekend walks in remote country?
Use our club directory to find a club in your local area or one that meets your interests.