Distance: 12.5 Km | Duration: 5 Hrs | Grade: TBA | Rating: | Style: Circuit | Map
Best Season: Autumn, Spring
About the Walk
A walk through dry open forest in typical Lerderderg country.
The Walk in Detail
All on track. Includes a section of road walking along O'Briens Rd from the junction with Cowan Tk to the junction with Lerderderg Tk. Need to cross the Cowan Creek which is usually dry. 340m change in elevation.
Start: Junction of O'Briens Rd and Cowan Tk.
- Walk east on O'Briens Rd to the junction with Lerderderg Tk, passing Trout, Upper Chadwick and Diggers Tks. Distance 2.6km.
- Turn right onto Lerderderg Tk and walk south. At a Y intersection, about 2.8 km along, veer right. Continue for 100-200m to the junction with Spanish Onion Tk (signposted). Distance: 3km.
- Turn right onto Spanish Onion Tk and walk south-south-west to the junction with East Tk. Towards the top of Spanish Onion Tk, the track is not always clear – watch for track markers. Steep descent towards the end. Distance 2km.
- Turn right onto East Tk (LER519) and walk north-west. Cross Cowan Ck. At a track junction, turn left and walk south for about 200m to Cowan Bluff. Retrace path and continue north along East Tk to the junction with Cowan Tk. Distance 1km.
- Turn right onto Cowan Tk (LER520). Climb steeply north to the walk end point. Distance 3.7km.
End: Junction of Cowan Tk and O'Briens Rd.
Disclaimer: All reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the route description was as accurate as possible at the time of publication.
The accompanying map is general in nature and should not be relied on for navigation purposes.
This park is infected with Cinnamon Fungus. Please observe the following control measures:
- Be clean on entry and exit. Vehicles, tyres, machinery, footwear and camping gear should be free of soil, gravel and mud prior to entering or leaving any park, reserve or campsite (particularly in high risk areas). Don't bring soil or gravel in – and don't take any home!
- Where available, use boot cleaning stations and vehicle wash down bays – they are there for a reason.
- Remain on formed roads, tracks and pathways at all times. Moving from infected to uninfected areas can spread the pathogen - particularly during wet weather when soils are wet and sticky.
- Obey all track and road closure signs. Do not enter areas of vegetation that have been quarantined.
For full details on the fungus and required control measures please follow link provided in Further Information below.
Take the Western Highway (M8) via Melton and Bacchus Marsh, taking the C318 exit from the highway and then turn right onto C381 (Greendale-Myrniong Rd) crossing over the highway and travelling towards Greendale. In Greendale (6.4km) turn right to stay on C318. In 7.2km turn right onto O'Briens Road and you should reach O'Briens Crossing in 6km. Approx 2.5km past the Crossing you should reach the junction of O'Briens Rd and Cowan Track where the walk starts.
Road traffic on O'Briens Rd. Creek crossing, but the creek is usually dry. Cinnamon Fungus area.urther upstream if the creek is not holding significant water. Cinnamon fungus area.
O'Briens Crossing, 2.5km from walk start/end. Very limited car parking at walk start.