Distance: 13.8 Km | Duration: 5 Hrs | Grade: TBA | Rating: | Style: Circuit | Map
Best Season: Autumn, Spring
About the Walk
Part of this interesting walk is a section of the 3-day Burchell Trail. Most of the walk is on quiet vehicle tracks through undulating woodland, with an understory of grass trees. Of interest are old slate quarries, good views and a little gorge. There is a short steep descent into the gorge and then a climb out. 100m change of elevation a series of small ascents and descents toward the end of the walk.
The Walk in Detail
Start: Boar Gully camping ground.
1. Walk south on the Little River Track to the junction with Link Track Turn left onto Link Track and walk the short distance to the junction with Kangaroo Track. Distance 2.4km.
2. Turn left onto Kangaroo Track and walk east, passing Old Thompson Track on the way, to the junction with Thompson Road. Turn right onto Thompson Road and walk south to the junction with Quarry Track. Distance 2.8km.
3. Turn left onto Quarry Track and follow the track in a south-easterly direction to the junction with Slate Track on a rocky rise. Keep right and continue on Slate Track along the top of an undulating ridge to a junction with an old vehicle track. (Do not follow Slate Track where it swings east.)
4. Turn right onto the easily missed vehicle track. Walk downhill past a slate quarry. This old vehicle track becomes a walking trail and descends into a shady gully. Cross the bridge and follow a rough and uneven track down a gully before beginning the steep climb to Thompsons Road. Distance 2.9km.
5. Cross Thompsons Road and after a short distance turn right onto Wallaby Track. Follow Wallaby Track, which later becomes Kangaroo Track, north-west to the junction with Little River Track.
6. Turn left onto Little River Track and walk north to the junction with Link Track. Continue on Little River Track to the walk end point.
End: Boar Gully camping ground.
Getting ThereFrom Melbourne, atke the M8 (Western Highway/Freeway) towards Ballarat and exit to Bacchus Marsh. Leave Bacchus Marsh to the south on Grant Street and turn right onto Griffith Street. Continue south on Bacchus Marsh - Balliang Road, then turn right onto Rowsley - Exford Road and then left to head west on Reids Road. Continue south west on Reids Road through Brisbane Ranges National Park to Boar Gully Camping Area near the western edge of the park.
Cinnamon fungus area, so please wash your footwear thoroughly following your walk.
Boar Gully CampingArea