With so many gadgets and devices relying on power these days, having a portable power source is very handy to have on longer and overnight bushwalks. With all the options available such as solar, chemical, thermal and mechanical chargers, it is tricky to know what is right for you, so look before you leap!
Questions to think about before you buy:
- What types of devices do you want to power?
- How much power do you need?
- What types of bushwalks/camps do you go on most?
- How often will you use your portable power supply?
- Where and in what weather conditions will you be doing most of your bushwalking (remote places, extreme weather, extreme landscapes)?
- How many people need to use the power source?
- The type of power you need / technology used.
- Power storage as well as charging.
- How many charges does it provide?
- Size and weight.
- Additional features such as multiple ports, the surface area of solar panels, etc.