7 Tips to Stay Hydrated While Hiking
With summer being in full swing, and everyone enjoying their summer holidays walking on some wonderful trails, we thought to remind everyone on how to stay hydrated whilst out and about.
Maintaining body fluids is essential for sweating, so hydration before, during and after a hike is important.
Below are some tips to stay hydrated whilst hiking:
Always carry water with you!
1. Before starting, you should drink one or two cups of water, juice, or a sport drink.
2. Limit the amount of caffeine drinks such as coffee and colas because caffeine increases fluid loss. Avoid alcoholic drinks — they also cause dehydration.
3. When engaged in strenuous trail activity, or when hiking in hot environments, drink at least 900mls of fluid per hour.
4. Providing a portion of fluid replacement with a carbohydrate / electrolyte sport beverage will help retain fluids and maintain energy and electrolyte levels—however, be sure to alternate sports drinks with plain water.
5. Continue drinking after hiking to replace fluid losses—thirst always underestimates fluid needs, so drink more than you think is necessary.
6. Rehydration is enhanced when fluids contain sodium and potassium, or when foods with these electrolytes are consumed along with the fluid. Make potassium rich foods a regular part of your diet. Potassium rich foods include:
7. Assess your hydration by looking for these signs:
Continuing to hike in a dehydrated state can lead to serious consequences, including heat stroke, muscle breakdown, and kidney failure.
Source: North Country Trail