Following on from the initial meeting of club presidents last October, the February meeting was both more widely supported and more focussed on the topics discussed. Even so, there was ample time for feedback and sharing of experiences on any topic that arose at the first meeting. A principal aim of the meeting of club presidents is to build networks and foster collaboration on matters of mutual interest. Fifteen club presidents from as far apart as Geelong and Sale attended the second meeting. Apologies were received from seven presidents who were unable to attend on the night.
- Club emergency contact systems
- Appropriate technical aids to obtain assistance in the event of an emergency on a walk
- Experience with the use of the Joomla-based website template available from Bushwalking Victoria
- Contributions to the future development of where2walk by Bushwalking Victoria
- Input to the Victorian Walking Festival
- Leader training and Bushwalking Victoria's plans following the appointment of a Training Coordinator
- How clubs handle the risks associated with overseas walks on their program
- How clubs support members arranging group private overseas trips.
Several items were referred to Bushwalking Victoria for further follow-up and/or listing as agenda items for wider discussion at the forthcoming Leadership Forum.
Participants agreed that the meeting was beneficial and should be followed up with another meeting. The group also discussed the frequency and timing and decided that quarterly was probably too frequent.
Based on the timing of the first two meetings, a workable annual schedule for presidents to interact appears be:
- Meeting 1 – February
- Meeting 2 – Interaction at the Bushwalking Victoria Leaders Forum and AGM (June)
- Meeting 3 – October.
The president of Geelong Bushwalkers has offered to host the next meeting, to be held late-October at a date and venue to be decided.
Ian Mair, Melbourne Bushwalkers Inc