Fundraising Event for The Mitta Mitta River in The Alpine National Park
Is your bushwalking club looking for the opportunity to be involved with and contribute to a significant bushwalking track conservation and maintenance project? A project which will make a lasting and significant improvement to one of Victoria’s most well-known and loved bush walking tracks?
A fantastic fundraising event has been planned for the weekend of October 7- 8, 2017 to raise funds for The Mitta River in The Alpine National Park.
The Mitta Mitta river located in the Alpine National Park is beloved and renowned for having some of the best rafting, kayaking, fishing, hiking, and more in Victoria. The original Friends of the Mitta (FOTM) accomplished great things during the heyday of this Victorian river.
Friends of the Mitta (FOTM) have been working with Parks Victoria for two years now to try and “formalise” the Graveyard Overlook/Tombstone Track/O’Connell’s Lookout and what is one of the most incredible overlooks in Victoria. The project is supported by enthusiastic rangers on the ground, however, due to funding and resource issues this very remote region of the Alpine National Park needs some volunteer assistance to rejuvenate the wonderful Mitta Mitta track.
As such, a fundraising event has been organised by FOTM which will include the following planned activities:
- On Saturday, we’ll team up into work parties for projects along the river. These will include things like: English broome control, willow eradication, campsite restoration, river clean-up and safety work, trail maintenance, put-in site improvement, etc.
- Saturday evening we’ll have a fundraising event at the Blue Duck. As this is our first year back after many years, we plan to keep it simple: food, music, a silent auction, and a few equipment and Mittagundi booths.
- On Sunday, everyone will run the river. We will have rafts and guides available for folks without the skills and/or equipment, as well as providing car shuttles.
The President of FOTM is calling out to Bushwalking Victoria clubs, organisations, schools and anyone who has enjoyed and utilised the Mitta River over the years to support this important project.
FOTM are really wanting this event to be a success and other assistance and skills where volunteers would be valued are:
- Donations of volunteer time: for work parties, before and after the event.
- Booths at the event: Any group or club wishing to erect a booth to provide information about their group, sell gear, etc.
After paying for the costs of the work parties and event, 100% of all donations will go towards costs of ongoing and future environmental and river running work projects along the Mitta Mitta River.
Donors will be mentioned in all FOTM advertising and marketing, paper, media and online. Donors may also request a free guided river trip down the Mitta.
Any club or individual member who is interested in helping or with ideas & suggestions, please contact: